Wednesday, May 10, 2006

No "me" to get upset

James Braha: Bob, you talk about investigating the falseness of the "me" every time a mental upset occurs. I find myself doing that, and it's powerful. But sometimes the upset is so intense that it still takes a while for it to dissipate.

‘Sailor’ Bob Adamson: Once the mind gets into something, it's hard to stop it. But are you just saying, "There is no "me", or are you actually investigating? Seeing it - not the saying of it. Saying it is just the concept.

James: First I may say, "There's no "me"; there's no James." But there's no change. Then I actually start looking to find a "me". I ask, "Who is this happening to?"

Bob: Can you find anyone?

James: No. There's no one here. It becomes clear that there's no one inside.

Bob: That's right. It becomes clear there's no entity there. And you see it again and again and again. You keep seeing it again and again for short moments of time. There's no use trying to remember the concept that there's no "me". You have to investigate each time some upset occurs. The investigation will come up more and more frequently. And then it'll come up of its own accord. The same as you know two and two is four.

James: That's happening now. I ask, "Why is this upsetting me?" And then I look to see if there's a "me", and of course there's not.

Bob: Don't even ask, "Why is this upsetting me?" That's giving the "me" a seeming reality. If there is no "me", who is getting upset? There will be no upsetting if there's no idea of a "me".

James: Can I just say, "Upsetting is happening?"

Bob: There won't be if there's no "me" to get upset. Just look at the happening and investigate and see there is no "me" for it to happen to.

James: So when something is happening that doesn't feel good...

Bob: That's just what it is - unaltered, unmodified, and uncorrected. It's a happening. If there's no reference point, where can the upsetting lodge? It will play around for a while and then dissipate. It has to, unless you keep referring it to a "me".

It's time to let go of the "me". It never existed. You're nothing; you're emptiness. You're seeing that. You're convinced of it.

James: I sometimes have a concept that I shouldn't get upset.

Bob: You never get upset. If there's no "me", what was it that ever was upset? Patterns of energy appear, patterns of energy disappear. What was it that ever did anything? Once you know there's no "me", there's no need to even investigate. It's immediate.

James Braha, "Living Reality: My Extraordinary Summer with "Sailor" Bob Adamson"