Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Last songs

~ Spring ~

In dusky graveyards
I dreamed long
of your trees and blue skies,
of your scent and your birdsong.

Now you lie uncovered
glittering and ornamented
bathed in light
like a jewel before me.

You recognize me,
you entice me gently,
A shudder runs through my body
your blissful presence.


~ September ~

The garden grieves
cool sinks the rain into the flowers
The summer shivers
quietly at the prospect of its end.

Golden drop the leaves slowly
from the tall acacia trees,
Summer smiles faintly and in surprise
in the dying dream of the garden.

For a long time it lingers,
upon the roses, longing for rest
Slowly it crosses its great
now weary eyes.


~ Upon Going to Sleep ~

Made tired by the day now,
my passionate longing
shall welcome the starry night
like a tired child.

Hands, leave all your activity,
brow, forget all thought,
for all my senses
are about to go to sleep.

And my soul, unguarded,
will float freely,
in order to live in the magic circle of the night
deep and a thousand fold.

~ Hermann Hesse